Adopt a Granny

As the Festive season is upon us we all get into the mindset of family gatherings and so on. I personally am not a fan of these gatherings as it only leads to endless questions about where my life is headed by my relatives but I must admit they do give me a sense of collectiveness and belonging that I wouldn’t imagine myself without. These gatherings remind me that I have a family. But this season around I advise those who are reading this to take a step back and remind ourselves that some people don’t have relatives. Loneliness is a battle all year round but it’s this time of year in particular that really hits hard on those who wish had someone to spend it with. I encourage you all to take a look at this great initiative launched for the sweetest reason ever. The ‘Adopt a granny’ campaign is being held by the Jasmine Nursing Home in Msida, and its main objective is to reduce loneliness amongst the elderly residents living in homes. By adopting a granny one gets paired up with an elderly person and is encouraged to spend time with them and invite them into their lives. The parliamentary Secretary Julia Farrugia Portelli who is promoting the project stressed on the fact that loneliness is a very hard thing to live with and also shared her experience regarding a time where she too felt lonely and got help from an elderly friend.
 “Loneliness can be a very daunting experience – it can hit at any time and age” – Julia Farrugia Portelli
Each one of us does go through periods of loneliness even though we are surrounded by friends and family but let alone people that don’t have any. So, I encourage you all to take the time and step away from materialistic gifts this season and exercise the act of giving by giving the one thing that is priceless which is love and a sense of belonging. If you would like to know more about how you can adopt a granny yourself you can check out their Facebook page or website or simply call them on 21330707 and spread love and joy this festive season.

Until next time,

Christa 

Comments

Popular Posts